Hard Aground (unless sailing)

posted from Leland, NC

Well here we are back in the US of A, but we aren’t quite done with tales of Grenada.  There remain a few things to talk about that we did before we left the island.

Compass Rose in Mt. Hartman Bay.


One of our favorite things to do is take morning birding walks through the Grenada Dove Sanctuary.  Amazingly we only did it once this year and that was in late May.  It was a nice walk, but the brush is fairly low and dense so the birds easily hide in the bushes and trees.  We eventually saw quite a few birds, but not much out of the ordinary.

Mangrove cuckoo


I’m not the only one who had a major project this year.  Dick from Lady Sybil decided to build a dinghy.  He arranged with Secret Harbour Marina to use some space near the restaurant to do the work.  Charles from Margaret Sharon helped him with the project.  It was fun to watch the dink go together and it was beautiful when it was done.

Dick and Charles build a dinghy next to the marina restaurant. Charles prepares to fit another piece

They clamped the gunnels on with split pvc pipe.


Monty, Jackie’s drumming instructor has talked about going to Grand Etang, a park in the Grenada highlands, to drum and play music as the full moon rises.  Jackie organized a bus and invited along Monty and a few other musicians.  Once there, a few of us hiked up the mountain to take in the view.

Looking down at Grand Etang Lake.  Notice the low cloud layer.

Southwestern point of Grenada

Islands manufacture their own climates to some extent.  The trade winds force warm, moist, sea air up the mountains where it cools and creates clouds.  Luckily for us, the clouds stayed above us instead of enveloping us in fog.  This made it a bit damp and chilly feeling and blocked out the moon rise, so we didn’t stay as long as we thought we might.  Despite the weather, the musicians jammed and enjoyed the afternoon.

(L) Monty, Jackie's drum instructor and (R) George, our bus driver and boat watcher

(L) Monty, Jackie’s drum instructor and (R) George, our bus driver and boat watcher

The Musicians: (L to R) Hella, Fleming, Trudy, Jackie, André, Andy, Jack, and Monty


Finally it was time head back to the States.  Once again, the pilot took us over the south coast of Grenada and we got a bird’s eye view of the anchorages.

NE portion of Mt. Hartman Bay and Compass Rose

South coast of Grenada. Mt. Hartman Bay is in the lower left corner.

Here is the south coast of Grenada looking east.  The SE portion of Mt. Hartman Bay is in the lower left corner.  Up a little and to the right is Hog Island with the anchorage to the left of the island.  beyond the Hog Island bridge is Clarks Court Bay.  Right edge of the middle of the picture is Calvigney Island and just beyond it is Le Phare Bleu Bay.  We can reach any of that area in our dinghy in 15 minutes or less.

Other than a flight delay causing us to get a later connection, the trip went well and shortly after arriving we had all house and car systems running.


Not to long before we were to leave Grenada we realized that we would get back in time for the Dickerson 50th Anniversary Rendezvous in Oxford, MD, but we wouldn’t have much time to spare.  We can’t go to a sailing rendezvous and stay in a motel, so we started looking for boats with extra berths and in need of crew.  Dave and Siobhan heard of our plight and invited us to stay with them on their Dickerson 41, Down Home.  We have stayed with them and their puppy, Kip, before and had a great time so we were really looking forward to it.

The offer included sailing from their marina in Baltimore to the rendezvous and back, but we had to move fast.  We landed in Wilmington late Tuesday night and we were in Baltimore by late Thursday afternoon.  Dave and I finished some boat projects including installing his new chart plotter.

Friday morning we headed down the Patapsco River and then south down the Chesapeake Bay. We motored in light winds at first, but eventually did some sailing.



Sailing on Down Home with Siobhan, Dave, and Kip

High tide had just passed so we were able to cut through Knapps Narrows.  We arrived in Oxford and had time to spare before the evening get together.

We exit Knapps Narrows without bumping the bottom or top

Lots and Lots of Dickerson Owners.  From left to right they are….uhhh… never mind.

Saturday is the big regatta where we race around in the Choptank River and the winner becomes Commodore for the next year.  We did well leading most of the fleet, but our rating – based in part on past performance – kept us from winning.  Don and D Wogaman on Southern Cross finished close behind us and won our class.  Bill Toth won the show on Starry Night.

Old Dickerson woody

Pre-start action

Vigilant race crew

That evening we all gathered at the Tred Avon Yacht Club for the big dinner, prize giving, installing of the new Commodore, and other sundry entertainment.  There were a lot of Dickerson owners in attendance and  Dickerson 41 owners were well represented.  To the best of our knowledge nineteen 41s were built, but one sank in the Caribbean.  We had six boats at the rendezvous and two more represented by their owners. Not a bad turnout!

Dickerson 41 owners

Jackie and I are in the back row – Compass Rose

The man to the left of me and the woman in front of me are Hank and Denise Cope – Toogoodoo

The pirate is Bruce Franz (Tucky skipped the picture) – Hemisphere Dancer

Dave Fahrmeier is to the right of the pirate and Siobhan is between the ladies in blue and yellow – Down Home

The man with the red cap and beard is Don Wogaman and D is in the blue dress – Southern Cross

The man in the blue shirt and the woman in the yellow dress are Daniel Pomerleau and Louise Maillette –Douce Folie 1

The man in the red hat is Jeff Stephenson and his cousin John is in the black shirt – Cavu

That leaves the couple in the lower right, Bill and Chris Burry – Plover

The rendezvous officially ends on Sunday, but there is usually a post-rendezvous cruise and this year was no exception.  Part of the fleet sailed across the Choptank River and up Broad Creek to anchor for the night.  Five of the Dickerson 41s (Southern Cross, Toogoodoo, Down Home, Cavu, Plover) participated as well as a few other boats.  They were Harriet and Parker Hallam on Frigate Connie,  Randy and Barbara Bruns on Rhythms in Blue who joined the 41’s in the raftup.  Barry and Judy Creighton on Crew Rest and Jim and Phaedra Hontz on Troubadour (ex Klame) anchored separately.

Seven Dickersons rafted together

Bill, Chris, and navigator Flaco of Plover

Hank and Denise on Toogoodoo

D on Southern Cross

The raft broke up for the evening – a little late – so it was interesting to watch everyone anchoring in the dark.  All went well.  The next day it was back to Baltimore and the day after we drove back to our house near Wilmington, NC.

Next: We stay at the house for?

2 Responses to “Hard Aground (unless sailing)”

  1. Mark Rikkonen Says:


  2. Barry Says:

    Hey J & E,

    Tell Dick that I recognize his Eastport Pram. A wonderful tender–“Lil” Lulu” is a sister ship sometimes on “Crew Rest”‘s davits. Great fun to build.

    So wonderful to see you at the Rendezvous–remember you are always welcome here in Hampton Roads as you set your sails to the prevailings.

    Barry & Judy

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: